Monday, May 14, 2007

Yay for coupons!

Today I went shopping at two places:

Henry's Marketplace for produce and hot dogs and ground turkey (on sale) - total spent: $13.65. And this is enough produce for two weeks.

Vons for staples/sale items (including cereal, peanut butter, frozen veggies, toilet paper, shampoo, etc.)

Original price: $71.30
Club card savings: $17.40
Coupon Savings: $20.97
Amount paid: $32.93

A few days ago I went over what I've been spending on groceries for the last few months. Good news! Prior to "down-sizing" to one staple grocery store (Vons) and using the grocery game, Gabe and I had decided that $60 a week was reasonable to spend on everything we bought at the grocery store (including toilet paper and laundry detergent and such things). I was skating in under that amount, but only barely and by going to four stores each weekend. HOWEVER. My average for the last few months? $52 a week. Not to mention all the time and aggravation saved!

2 comments:

sarah marie said...

I can't figure out the Grocery Game. I'm trying it, but I can't figure out how it helps me save more than just the coupons I get in the Sunday paper would help me save anyway. I think part of it is because the website is so poorly designed, and apparently the woman who runs it doesn't write well? None of what she says makes sense to me. Explain it for me??

Rachel said...

I love the grocery game!