Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Slow-Cooker Chili

I made chili in the crock pot yesterday, and it turned out really well. The original came from allrecipes.com, but I changed it so much that I think I can fairly claim this recipe as my own. Enjoy!

Slow-Cooker Chili

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 cans diced tomatos, undrained (I used a little more than one 14.5 oz can, because that was what I had. You can decide how much you want.)
15 oz. tomato sauce
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 T. chili powder (double this if you want it spicy - I made mine so that the boys could comfortably eat it.)
2 t. salt
1/2 - 1 t. pepper
shredded cheddar (garnish)

Brown and drain ground beef. Mix all ingredients (except cheese) in the crock pot. Cooking time is very flexible - I cooked it on high for two hours and then low for about 3.5. You could also cook it on low all day, or on high just for about 2-3 hours. I like it cooked longer because the flavors can meld better, but you really can just cook it for as long as you have available. When you're ready to eat, sprinkle shredded cheddar on top of each bowl.

(I wish I'd thought to take a picture of this, but I didn't. :( Sorry!)

3 comments:

AudreyO said...

Great recipe. I love my crockpot. I found you through the contest site. I'm not entering, but I'm reading through your blog.

World's Greatest Mommy said...

Awesome! Needed a new crockpot recipe!

ruth said...

Once my husband made chili for a church potluck while I was out of town at a women's retreat. My recipe called for 2 cloves of garlic, pressed. When I got home, I asked him how his cooking project had gone. He said, "Great, but it sure took a long time to peel that garlic." I was puzzled and asked, "Ho much did you put in?" He said, "Two cloves--wait a minute, what's a clove?" It turns out that he had put in two entire heads of garlic. No wonder it took him a long time! The really funny thing was how much everybody loved that chili--after it was all gone, they were still going back to scrape the bottom of the crockpot to get another taste! So now he is famous for his garlic chili. It is an ingredient a lot of recipes seem to leave out.