Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Yummy recipe

Last night I didn't feel like cooking dinner, so I cooked breakfast instead. :) This recipe started out as a regular quiche, but I tweaked quite a few things based on what I had on hand and what sounded good.

Crust-less Sausage Quiche

1 T. butter
1 onion, chopped
12 oz. ground pork sausage
4 eggs
1/2 c. ranch dressing
1/2 c. milk
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded
about 2 tsp. taco sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Saute onion in butter in a large skillet. Add sausage and brown. Drain, crumble, and spread in a deep pie plate.

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, dressing, and milk. Stir in cheese, then add taco sauce, salt, pepper, and sugar. Pour over sausage in pie plate.

Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30-40 minutes more, until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.

I served this with apple sauce and toast on the side. Yum!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
I'm Sarah's friend and I often mosey on over to your blog after reading hers. It just occured to me that I would really like to make this recipe with my friends, but I don't have salad dressing available to me at the moment(or taco sauce, but I can probably find something flavorful to substitute for that. haha or ground pork sausage, but I'm excited about using a spicy chorizo instead). Would you have a suggestion for what to substitute, or do you think it would work without the ranch dressing?
melissa

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Hi Melissa! Welcome to my humble bloggy home. :)

The taco sauce really isn't necessary at all. I like it, but you could leave it out or substitute pretty much anything you felt like for it.

Ranch dressing substitute: my best guess would be to mix mayonaise and milk to get a similar consistency, and then add spices that sounded good. Onion powder, garlic, paprika, etc.

Have fun! I hope it works for you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome :) I've been reading your blog since meeting half of your family at Sarah's second wedding. And when I just went to check how long I've been reading it, I saw your awesome post about her real wedding, so now I'm really mad at her for not having shown me herself. :) So salad dressing. Hmm. Mayonaise here is a little... different. My friend tried to make salad dressing recently and it was off (to be polite). What about a blander version cream cheese with some spices? You think that would do the trick? We tried to make a spinach bacon crust-less quiche last week for Easter, but there was no bacon or quiche in the store, so we ended up making an wonderfully yummy casserole with chorizo and broccoli instead, but it definitely didn't turn out quiche-like at all! That's half the fun though. Thanks for the recipe. :)