Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Recipes - Chilaquiles

Ok, Dy, I guess I'll post recipes, too. :)

This recipe is a winner that I originally got from Jessica.

Chilaquiles

15 5" corn tortillas, cut into 1" strips
2 T. oil (I use olive oil)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
4 jalapenos, seeded and minced (I make things easier by using a can)
3 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken broth
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
2 1/2 cups Jack cheese, shredded (tonight I'll be using pepper jack, and I bet it will be amazing!)
Sour cream and cilantro for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place tortilla strips on greased baking sheets and bake 15 minutes until crisp. Set aside.

Saute onion, jalapenos, and garlic in oil for 3 minutes until soft. Add 2 cans of tomatoes (drained) and one can WITH liquid. Cook 5 minutes. Add broth. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer 20 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in beaten eggs, salt, and pepper.

Coat 9x13 pan with a little sauce. Layer half of the tortilla strips, half the sauce, and half the cheese, then repeat.

Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature. Garnish with sour cream and cilantro.

If you want, you can add cooked, diced chicken to the recipe. Both options taste great!

No comments: