Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Today Jonathan and I were sitting on the couch, reading books. Half way through, I slouched down into a more comfortable position. Jonathan looked at me, then leaned back and did his best imitation of my slouch! It was awfully cute. We actually read books for quite awhile today, which was fun. Usually he likes to move around too much and we don't get through much, but today he was in a sit and look at pictures mood.

I don't remember if I've mentioned our new discipline trick? We're doing time-out in a playpen, with a timer. It took only two time out times for Jonathan to figure out what was going on. He doesn't like it, but he does understand how it works! Sometimes he cries, sometimes he just waits. But either way, when the timer rings he says "dau!" (or something like that - I can't transliterate!) and looks at me expectantly. He gets a hug and an "I love you" as I get him out, and a reminder to obey Mommy. I'm pleased with how it is working. We don't have to use them often, and when we do, it is very helpful to me too, because functionally both he and I are having "time out!" Even just one minute "away" is helpful for me to regain perspective. So all in all I think it is a good discipline decision, at least for the stage we're in now.

No comments: