Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The sun is shining. There is laundry hanging up on the line (not the laundry that was hanging on the line during the rainstorm!) There is laundry in the dryer as well, because we got behind on clean laundry while it was raining. Jonathan is happily alternating between the living room and the patio. I'm leaving the door open because it is so nice outside, and he really enjoys it. He is a little worried by the strong gusts of wind that blow through periodically, but he's certainly not going to let a little thing like that spoil his fun! Have I mentioned lately how wonderful he is? I love watching him explore and learn and play. He is such a little BOY now...not at all the baby of six months ago. He's turning one year old on Saturday.

While I'm at it, I think I'll post my "what Jonathan is doing now" updates. I've been keeping a mental list for the past few days but haven't had a chance to post it. But he's happy now, and I think he's only eating a few leaves...so here goes. :)

Jonathan loves his bedtime routine. It's a very simple one - just a diaper change (he doesn't love that part!) then toothbrushing, then we turn on music and swaddle him to nurse. By the time we get to the swaddling he's calm and grinning from ear to ear. He knows what comes next! He smiles at his daddy until he's all wrapped up, and giggles in anticipation before we nurse. It's the best part of the day, I think.

He's almost walking. Yesterday he almost took a step - it was like he forgot that he couldn't - only then he remembered just in time not to. :) Oh well, it will happen someday. And with any luck I'll be there to see it!

A favorite game right now is putting things (blocks, cheerios, anything!) into our hands and then deliberately taking them out, and putting them back in, one by one, over and over and over again.

He anticipates what comes next in favorite funny games, and giggles before the "punch line".

He plays peek-a-boo with the people behind us in church. I don't think we're good for their concentration. :)

He copies us. Last night we had artichokes for dinner, and Jonathan was quite pleased with himself as he copied how we ate the leaves. He also copies me when I sneeze. Which, ufortunately, I am doing a lot right now. Darn allergies. But it is oh-so-cute when my "aah-choo!" is followed by a small "tchoo!" Every time.

When Gabe comes home at night, he and Jonathan play "catch me if you can". Gabe gets down on his hands and knees with Jonathan, and crawls slowly toward him. Jonathan shrieks with laughter as he crawls away as fast has he can, periodically stopping to look over his shoulder to see how close Daddy is. They'll circle the whole house like this. I love listening to the shrieks of merriment as I'm getting dinner ready!

Jonathan knows how to obey, and he knows he'd better do so! Many of the things that were battles a month or two ago just aren't, really, any more. It's a welcome respite. And when he does do something he shouldn't, he KNOWS it. So a stern tone of voice saying "Jonathan..." gets his attention, and he responds by crawling away from the offending object as fast as he can go! It's so funny it's very hard to be serious with him. :)

No comments: