I've noticed an annoying trend lately in the land of bloggy giveaways. It used to be (maybe last year?) that giveaways were fun. You left a comment, usually answering a fun or humorous question, maybe browsed a bit in the archives, and crossed your fingers. I enjoyed them because I found fun blogs that way sometimes. One of my favorite blogs was a giveaway discovery!
Unfortunately, most giveaways aren't fun anymore. Instead of "please leave a comment on X,Y,Z" we get something like this:
1) MANDATORY ENTRY: follow me through "Blogger Friend" AND follow my friend Trippy Tulip.
*For additional entries* (Leave a separate comment for each thing you do.)
2) "Like" me on facebook.
3) Follow me on twitter
4) Tweet about this giveaway.
5) Put this giveaway in your facebook status.
6) Put my button your blog sidebar.
7) Blog about this giveaway.
8) Send an email to five friends telling them about this giveaway.
9) Tell me which of the following linked posts in my archives includes the name of my cat.
10) If you do ALL of these, you'll receive a bonus entry!
Suddenly, this giveaway isn't fun and friendly anymore. For one thing, it takes too long to read and figure out what I'm supposed to do to enter. It would take WAY too long to actually do all those things. I don't even LIKE twitter and I really don't like it being used this way. And speaking of used, now I feel used, like this giveaway wasn't just meant to be fun and for kicks, but solely and entirely intended to boost the blogger's "stats".
If you've read this far, you probably deserve a prize. :) So here you go: a $10 gift card of your choice: Starbucks, CVS, Target, or Panera. All you have to do is tell me which one you'd like. If you're feeling friendly you can also tell me what you think of this rant. ;)
Oh, and in case you clicked all those links above? I don't actually have a cat.