Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Freedom to enjoy food

One of the stellar parts of eating the way I do now, is that I suddenly have the freedom to really enjoy food. Before, food always came with an aftertaste of guilt. Too many calories, or too many carbs, or too much sugar, or simply too much...my back brain really never stopped berating me. Because I knew that if I was not constantly vigilant (perhaps hyper-vigilant) the scale was going to go up. And if it went up, I didn't really know how to make it go back down. If you haven't been in this situation, where the "normal rules" of dieting just don't seem to apply, you probably can't understand the incredible freedom that came with finding an eating plan that works.

I still have problems with my back brain. It has been in charge for a long time, and change isn't always easy! But overall? I like eating again. Not in a rebellious, frustrated, "I'm just going to eat it anyway" kind of way, or the horrible guilt-ridden "eat everything in sight and regret it later" addiction, but simple enjoyment without the worry and fear that used to come with it.

Today's lunch includes two things that used to be nutrition no-no's: cookies* and summer sausage.



Today I eat them with true enjoyment, and when they're gone, I'll still be happy. Also? Dinner is going to be amazing. :)

* Those cookies, decadent though they certainly are, do fit into my eating plan. They are made with organic whole wheat flour, organic evaporated cane juice, coconut oil, and a few other basics that are almost all found in my kitchen. Love it! (If you're interested, the brand is called Late July.)

3 comments:

ACMe said...

that looks really good! :)

Elena Johnston said...

Yay! I'm so glad! It's so much more peaceful when your mind and body are on the same page about food. =)

Jen said...

I've gotten a little bit of help with my NVP and haven't barfed in 24 hours. I found myself thinking of you and this post today as I heard myself saying "Wow, I am actually enjoying my food!" It's amazing how desensitized to it we can become, for whatever reason, and how much pleasure it can bring when we treat it more properly.