Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Mexican rice recipe

I always enjoy Mexican rice when I go to a Mexican restaurant, and this weekend I found a recipe that accurately duplicates it! It is really good - even my husband who doesn't particularly enjoy rice said that it was a winner and should go in the "permanent file".

Mexican Rice

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add rice. Sprinkle with garlic salt and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, until just turning golden. (Be CAREFUL here - my first attempt had to be thrown away because it burned - it goes from golden to burned unbelievably quickly.)

Stir in onions, tomato sauce, and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. (I found that I had to add another 1/2 cup or so of water for it to cook the last five minutes. The rice was still crunchy at 20 minutes but the liquid was gone. Adding a bit let it finish cooking without burning.) Fluff rice with a fork and serve!

Original recipe is "Mexican Rice II" found at Allrecipes.

No comments: