Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Neighborhood playmates

One of the things that I love about living here is the fact that we have neighborhood kids. Directly across from us live Phillip and Marcos, ages 10 and 7. I never would have expected that boys that age would care about a two-year-old, but they do. So much so that when I tried to keep Jonathan out of their way (thinking he was annoying them) they showed up at my door asking "can Jonathan come out and play?" Jonathan LOVES them and they will happily play together for hours. Sometimes Joshua and Andrew from a few houses down will join them as well, and oh, the yells of delight that ensue! They play ball and frisbee and ride on skateboards (they taught Jonathan how, sort of!) and ride bikes (Marcos pushes Jonathan on his tricycle) and dig in the dirt and make mud puddles and draw with chalk on the pavement. And even when all four bigger boys are playing together, they always watch out for Jonathan - making sure that he can keep up, doesn't get hurt, and follows the rules I've laid out (thus far and no farther - I have to be able to see you!) I'm impressed with their maturity, and grateful that we live in a place where they can play safely. It is nice to be able to say "go outside and play with Marcos" while I'm making dinner! More than that, I'm glad that Jonathan has kind older children to play with and learn from.

No comments: