Back when Thomas was a newborn, he slept through the night (5+ hours) very early. And I counted my blessings and thanked God for an easy baby. :)
Unfortunately, he's making up for lost time now. Gabe and/or I am being awakened at night about every 1 to 2 hours. When morning comes it feels like I haven't slept at all. This is not sustainable for much longer, and I need suggestions.
Here are the facts:
- Thomas nurses about every five to six hours during the day (supplemented by solids).
- I'm nursing him about twice each night right now, about every four hours. This was a decision prompted by feeling like a human snack bar all night when these night wakings started some weeks ago.
- If he wakes before about four hours have passed, we simply give him his pacifier, re-swaddle him, and rock him back to sleep. It generally takes five minutes or less. The fact that this works leads me to think that he's not really hungry.
- The problem is not that he wakes up and stays up, it is that he wakes up so frequently that Gabe and I can't get any deep sleep.
- Thomas' naps during the day are still not quite solidified, although generally there is a morning nap and an afternoon nap. I'm working toward making those more consistent.
Ideas? Better yet, tried and true solutions?