Monday, March 10, 2008

Memes

Normally, I don't do memes. If I get tagged my most common response is to ignore it (I know, that isn't nice!) I thought about posting something deep about my philosophical objection to memes, but that sounded like too much work. :) The truth is, most of them don't sound interesting, or are just too much effort for the end result. So I usually don't do them. If you've tagged me for a meme, and I've ignored you, please don't hate me!

That said, Amanda tagged me recently and strangely, I found myself wanting to do this one. Perhaps because it is random, odd, and not time consuming.

THE RULES:
Look up from the computer, look around the room where you're sitting and pick up the closest book. Open the book, turn to page 123, count down to the fifth sentence on that page, and then post the next three sentences.

And no cheating - it really has to be the closest book, even if the closest book happens to be the latest bodice ripper from Harlequin. Not that I know anything about bodice rippers from Harlequin. I'm just sayin'.

The closest book to me when I read Amanda's post and saw the tag was The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John M. Gottman, Ph.D. Great! A smart book! A book that shows how very much care I am giving my marriage!

Gilligan and Ginger are nowhere in sight - the two of you are the only survivors. One of you is injured. You have no idea where you are.

Since I haven't made it to page 123 yet, I have no explanation for this fascinating and extremely important bit of marriage advice. Perhaps you should all leave a comment providing your best theory of how this relates to making marriage work. :)

And, because I can, I shall now tag:

Jessica (who I'm sure will ignore the tag due to her crazy life with new twins!)
SlowLane (who I hope will complete this at work - and for you - change the rules a bit and use the most interesting request letter you have lying around.)
SarahMarie (who will probably give us something pithy from Chesterton or Lewis.)
Gabe (play along, dear husband - a good excerpt from Romans will be good for our souls!)

and last but not least

Elena (who needs a break from house hunting.)

Have at it!

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh, a smart book. I'm so jealous. Thanks for being a good sport, and for playing along! What fun!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... now I'm no expert (trust me), but I'm pretty sure this quote refers to the need to lower your expectations in marriage. Instead of picturing a romantic honeymoon on a beautiful island, the author is bringing you back to reality: The honeymmon didn't go that way because you got lost on the way to the airport ("I don't need to ask for directions!") and missed your plane; instead you "survived" a stay at the cheapest motel you could find off the side of the highway. On top of all that, your husband dropped you while attempting to carry you over the threshold.

As if being lost and injured isn't enough, Gilligan and Ginger aren't around either. Wow, this marriage stuff really is going to be tough...

Jessica Snell said...

Well, you're right, I'm not going to do the meme (sorry!) but I did look at the nearest book and it was appropriate to why I'm not doing the whole meme: it was "The Joy of Twins". :) Thanks for thinking of me though!