Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Natural childbirth just got a celebrity boost

Heather Armstrong of Dooce did an about-face at 30 weeks when she read Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein (probably better known for their documentary The Business of Being Born). Originally planning to request an epidural
two days before contractions started ... Give me the epidural and any other pain relief, maybe throw in a couple dozen shots of bourbon, oh and how about you just put me under general anesthesia and wake me up two days later
she ended up choosing a natural birth, in the hospital with the support of a doula. In her post titled The labor story, part one she writes,
I'm not going to get into the specifics and the really convincing and at times jaw-dropping statistics of it here, there are so many other places and people who can write about it better than I can, but I will say this: if you are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant, GO READ THAT BOOK. From now on when someone asks me what is the one piece of advice I would give to a pregnant woman, it will be: GO BUY A COPY OF THAT BOOK.
Since half of everyone reads Dooce, I'm betting that the publishers are planning a new edition and wishing it was on the shelves right now.

Thanks to Sarah Marie for bringing this amazing news to my attention!

No comments: