Thursday, May 29, 2008

Isn't this cute? (updated)

I think I'm getting better at presentation. For example, this is my latest gift package of burp cloths. Cute, yes?

Would you mind being a test group for me, dear readers? Let's say you were buying a set of these for a new mother. What would you consider paying? $10? $12? $14? This particular package is a set of two custom burp cloths, made of washable ribbon on Chinese prefold cloth diapers (chosen due to their superior absorbency).

Alternatively, would you rather have three burp cloths in a set? And if you wanted three, what would you consider a reasonable price: $13? $15? $17?

Please do let me know in the comments - I really value your feedback as I'm working on this business.



Oh, and I have business cards now! Aren't they nice? I think they turned out quite well. Some people have asked for them to give out to friends, and now I have plenty - so if you would like some please just let me know and I'll mail them to you!

And as always, if you want to order something, you can contact me personally or find my items at Lullaby Slings.

(Updated to take out the visible address on the card. Thanks, Jess, for pointing that out!)

4 comments:

Ma Torg said...

Very cute. I can't believe you just taught yourself to sew and are already doing such neat projects! I never did get into sewing.

Regarding prices, I think I like the 2 for $10 price. I wouldn't go higher because you usually need around 4-6 burp cloths minimum (in my experience), and I wouldn't buy more than one set if it was more than $10.

I'd go for 3 for $15 too. I like evenly divisable numbers.

Ideally, I'd like 3 for $12 ($13 just seems like an odd price to me).

On the otherhand, I would be on the budget-minded shopper end. If your buyers are more spendy, you could probably charge more.

Jen said...

I don't have any point of reference, but I agree with Kelly about prices (they were the first ones that came to mind even before reading her post. But since she posted it already, I'll just say "ditto")

Cowen Family said...

Depending on who your main customers are, you could even go higher. I make my own burp cloths too after seeing one cost $16 a piece at a local boutique...too much for me! This time around, I have yet to buy any burp cloths. Mine are all handmade plus so much nicer than what you can buy. I wish you well with your business. Realistically, I agree to the $5 a cloth price if you find you are reimbursed for your time and expeses fairly:) Handmade items tend to never really bring in the amount of love and time poured into them, unfortunately:( They are worth it to me!

Anonymous said...

I think $16 for 3 sounds good. You want to price it high enough that people see it as a specialty item and so that they think you value your product and time.