Friday, February 17, 2006

Clapping hands

Jonathan has finally learned how to clap his hands, and it is so much fun to watch! He claps with me when I sing songs, now, which is quite fun. Lately we've been singing "I'm gonna sing, sing, sing"...and I'm hoping that next he'll figure out how to wave his hands in the air on "praise the Lord!" :)

He also claps for himself (along with me) when he obeys. Too cute. He's getting better about obeying. Really the only times it's a problem are when he's just too tired and needs a nap. Other times a stern voice and the fact that I'm looking at him and frowning are enough. Then when he doesn't do whatever he was thinking about doing, I clap for him and say "good job obeying!" I'm happy about the obedience, and tickled about the way he congratulates himself when he does. :)

1 comment:

Amber said...

How neat! I used to clap too when Emma obeyed at that age, she really got a kick out of that. I had forgotten that until you mentioned it in your post. Isn't it amazing how well the look on your face and the tone of your voice work? Sometimes I feel like it shouldn't work as well as it does, because it is so simple! And yes, when they are tired everything just becomes so much more difficult. It is like a large part of thinking ability just stops functioning!

I find it interesting that you use "good job obeying" - it never occurred to me to use that but I think it is a good idea. I think I tend to shy away from the word obey far more than I should and I rather wish I had used that word more with Emma when she was a toddler. I suppose it isn't too late to start though! I'm not sure why I have such hesitation in using that word, but I suspect it is a vestige of my secular upbringing.

OK, I need to stop this comment otherwise it is going to be longer than your post :-)