Friday, July 04, 2008

VBAC bans and legal action - finally!

I don't write on this too often because 1) I'm busy doing kids and daily life and 2) I'm busy writing about kids and daily life and 3) I don't want to spend too much time on controversial issues. However, this is something that is highly important to me, particularly since I've personally run into a similar issue and been unable to really achieve results on my own (sans lawyer). So I do think that this is a great step forward, and I applaud these lawyers for not only assisting the women who come to them, but actively searching out women who need their help standing up to the sometimes-insane obstetric medical community.

Disclaimer: I do not agree with everything these attorneys stand for - far from it! However, I have thought for years that it is odd that feminist groups have not taken up the banner for women's rights in birth, and I am glad to see a step in this direction.

Attorneys responding to VBAC bans in hospitals


You should read the entire post, but here is some of the meat of the text:

I’m a lawyer with the Northwest Women’s Law Center in Seattle. I’m investigating possible legal responses to bans on vaginal birth after cesarean at hospitals in the northwest states Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon. If you are currently pregnant and want to have a VBAC, but are facing a hospital policy that would require you to have a c-section regardless of whether you want it and regardless of whether it is actually medically necessary, and you are willing to consider working with a lawyer on this, we’d like to talk with you. Please respond to
vbacbanhelp at ican-online dot org.
Makes me wish I lived in one of those states! :) But at least I can help get the information out there. Please, if you care about this issue at all, spread the word!

1 comment:

Jessica Snell said...

Oh, that's a good thing!

I know we disagree on some birth-related stuff, but I completely agree that the "once a cesarean, always a cesarean" mindset is ridiculous.

btw, I have seen at least one feminist site that was very into "birthing rights" sort of stuff. Not a site I'd endorse at all (I read them partly to keep track of the anti-life agenda), but if you're interested, I can email you the site. One of their regular writers is in training to be a midwife, I think.