Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Caffeine is a stimulant.

I tend to forget this fact, as my body doesn’t react to it. But it turns out that Jonathan doesn’t share this trait with me! Yesterday I treated myself to a cherry mocha from It’s A Grind. I drank about half of it in the afternoon and the rest in the evening after dinner. Now, normally this would not be a problem, because for the last ten months I have conscientiously remembered to request my coffee decaffeinated. Unfortunately for us, this time I forgot. The result was that Jonathan slept in the evening, and then woke up on a caffeine high at 1am, 3am, and 5am, refusing to nurse back to sleep at each of these times. What a night! Of course, by the time morning came and I could think a bit more calmly, I realized what had happened and could laugh (a very little) at myself.

The result of this experiment with caffeine in young infants is that he, and I, have slept on and off most of the day. I hope this doesn’t ruin his concept of day and night again!


By the way, I do mean to blog about Jonathan’s baptism. I just haven’t had enough time to sit down and think about it very much yet. If I forget, post in the comments and remind me.

No comments: