Saturday, July 16, 2011

So much for having another girl in the family...

Hermione is a BOY. So says the veterinarian, anyway, but I don't believe her. I'm attached to my little girly kitten!

The vet also let us know that we got more than we bargained for in adopting her. I mean him. It turns out that the "scar" on her neck is actually a rubber band with skin growing over it. It is restricting her breathing, and the vet said that it is surprising how well she's doing under the circumstances. I am very, very angry with whomever had this cat before we did.

Fixing this mess is costing a lot of money. Far more than I'd ever pay for a cat! (Or a dog, or any pet for that matter!) But...we love this animal now and we can't exactly not help her. So please pray for successful surgery and a quick recovery for our very expensive new pet.

4 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Oh, poor kitty! How terrible. I hope all corrective surgery goes well - Hermy is lucky he found you guys.

p.s. you could always name him "Victor" after Victor Krum.

Amber said...

Ah, yes... Such is often the way with "free" pets! I've paid for other people's cruelty or thoughtlessness too. But what can you do? I don't think I could just change my mind and give the animal up after we've brought it into our household...

I hope all goes well with the surgery and your kitty ends up being trouble free after this!!

mircat said...

aww, that's so sad. :( Though, Anthony suggested that maybe an unsupervised kid put the rubber band on as a collar (not to be mean) and then the kitty ran away? :-/ we can hope, anyway.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Mircat, that's possible, but given that she was normally sized and reasonably fed, we don't think it is likely. The band has been on for weeks, and she did not look like a cat that had been abandoned for that long.