Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our newest addition

Isn't she sweet?



She showed up at our front door a few nights ago, and when we opened it to investigate, she walked right in. I'm allergic to cats, so (like an idiot) I spent the next 45 minutes cuddling her while talking to neighbors and trying to discover who she belonged to.



No one knew, of course, although most of us thought she was probably abandoned, because she has some icky scarring on her neck that looks like the result of abuse.



But she loved the kids, and we all loved her. And we just couldn't dump her back outside and go to bed. But...we can't keep a cat! I'm allergic to cats! (At least, I was expecting to get violently allergic...any minute now...) Eventually a cat-loving neighbor came home, and she agreed to keep the kitten for a couple of days until we could either find an owner or find a new home for her.



Well, we found a new home for her. She's living in our back yard, and apparently I'm only slightly allergic to her. The boys are thrilled with their new pet, and frankly, I'm a little bit in love.

What shall we name her?

9 comments:

Myrnie said...

She's darling!

Amber said...

She's beautiful! Keeping her in your backyard could be challenging though... I hope it doesn't cause problems in you complex! But I completely understand keeping her. :-). I must admit I have a particular fondness for cats with that coloring!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

We're allowed to have one pet (per our HOA rules). The only thing that might be a problem is if she decides to roam around a lot and people complain. But there are already a couple of other cats in the complex who roam frequently. And really, what can the HOA do? It isn't like a roaming cat is likely to do any real monetary damage. :)

Jessica Snell said...

"Waif"! "Coquette"! "Lark"!

She's so cute.

Stephanie S said...

She is adorable. :)

"Perks" sprang to mind...

Mom said...

This reminds me of when Cuddles showed up on our doorstep back in Santa Ana. Do you remember who said, "Mom...??? Can we please, please, please just give her a little tiny bit of milk?" And a few days later we were the proud owners of 4 cats!

So is this unnamed cat a she or an "it"? This could be the biggest issue of keeping her in your back yard :-)

Based on the boys' enjoyment of our animals, I'm sure they are loving her!

Too funny - the word verification for this post is "snesy" - awfully similar to sneezy!:-)

Mircat said...

Oh, I can't wait to meet her, Em!! She's gorgeous. River adores cats, and your boys are so sweet--she's very lucky to have wandered into your yard. She has such a pretty, sweet face! I like Jess's suggestion of "Lark", and I'd like to add "Kimmy" and "Clara" to the list. :)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Yep, Mom, this did remind me very much of when Cuddles #1 showed up. :) Apparently I haven't grown up much!

She's a girl, and we'll need to get her spayed when she's a little older.

Katie K said...

How fun!!! As for names, hmmm, that's a tough one because my family almost never called our pets by their given names. Our cat started out with the name "Breezy" but later became "Tubby." Not the nicest name for a cat but it better described his appearance. =)