Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mommy Guilt

Glennon's article nails Mommy Guilt. This is exactly what it sounds like.

And so now I’m a stay-at-home mom. And the thing is that Mommy Guilt stays home with me. These days I experience her less as a drive-by-shooter and more as a constant commentator. Now she sounds like this:

“Did you go to all three of those college classes just so you could clean the kitchen and play Candy Land all day? And how is it that you don’t even do those things very well? Can you concentrate on nothing? Look at this mess! A good mom would clean more and play less. Also, a good mom would clean less and play more. Also a good mom would clean more and play more and quit emailing altogether. Additionally, I’ve been meaning to ask if you’re sure you feel comfortable spending so much money when you don’t even make any. Moreover, when was the last time you volunteered at Chase’s school? What kind of stay at home mom doesn’t go to PTA meetings or know how to make lasagna? Furthermore, nobody in this house appreciates you.”

By the way, Momastery is an amazing blog. The past week she's been re-posting some of her best (for the benefit of newcomers like me!) and they're just wonderful. Go check it out!

3 comments:

Ma Torg said...

I KNOW! Right?

That's what wine and chocolate are for.

Amber said...

I remember I used to think like that, but I don't anymore. I am not sure when that changed,or why exactly. I suppose if I could figure that out I could probably write a popular book. :-). Interesting though, I hadn't realized the absence of that dialogue.

Kristen said...

I love that little blurb from that article. I totally feel that way. I should play more, clean less; clean more play less; teach more; text less... it never ends.