Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Requested: homemade whole wheat bread recipe

I've been receiving a lot of requests for my whole wheat bread recipe. I blogged about it about 18 months ago, but I've changed the recipe somewhat since then. Here's what I'm doing right now:

Whole Wheat Bread (2 lb loaf)

1 2/3 cup water
4 1/4 cups organic whole wheat flour
2 T. wheat gluten
2 t. salt
1/4 cup organic evaporated cane juice
2 T. organic coconut oil
1 1/2 t. yeast

I put everything in my bread machine and use the dough cycle for about 3 minutes to mix it together. Then I re-set the machine to the whole wheat cycle, and set the timer so that the bread will be finished in the morning when we wake up. It is lovely to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread!

Side note: does anyone know where to get organic yeast? Or if such a thing exists? Or if it is important?

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Thanks Emily!

Jessica Snell said...

many, many thanks!