Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The flip side of the evening

So the concert was great. Leaving Jonathan to go to the concert was not so great. We left him with Justy, (a high school student at our church) which was nice because I have a lot of confidence in her. She’s one of those sorts of people who acts about three years older than she actually is.

Unfortunately, Jonathan seems to be in a stage of life where Mommy not being within sight (or better yet, arms reach) means the world just came to an end. We left at 4:30pm, and he cried, with one short break to eat some smashed peas, until 6:30pm. That was when he fell asleep. Poor kid! Poor Justy!

So this morning I've been wondering: is part of being a good parent right now accepting that Jonathan doesn't understand that we're coming back, and therefore not going away for long periods of time? Or is this just something that he will learn eventually, if we do it? Gabe and I have a few movies in mind that we'd like to go see, and a friend has even offered to babysit so that we can...but now I'm wondering if it's fair to Jonathan to do so. Thoughts?

4 comments:

sarah marie said...

ooh, what movies do you want to see?

Nathan and I saw The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe last night... :)

if I were nearby I'd offer to babysit.

Linds said...

I think it's fair to leave him with a babysitter, especially considering his age. He'll begin to learn that you do, in fact, return, and the transition will be easier for him to make now than as a toddler.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

We want to see Harry Potter, Narnia, Pride and Predjudice, and King Kong (well, that last one Gabe wants to see , and he wants me to come with him.) :) I've already seen Narnia, but Gabe hasn't, and that's such a great one we really want to go together.

Linds said...

Go see Harry Potter for sure. And Narnia, of course. However, you might let Gabe go see King Kong with some buddies. It's surprisingly gruesome. There were a couple things I didn't want to watch (has to do with how a giant monkey might try to kill three T-rexes, and what happens to people who fall into a giant pit full of giant bugs).