Sunday, December 28, 2008

CVS trip 12/28

When I first looked at today's ad, I wasn't sure if it was worth going to CVS this week at all. I'm glad I looked again, because it ended up being a very good trip. I'm getting better at this!



All that for $2.34 oop. If you take ecbs "oop" into account, then the total cost was $9.33 - a very good deal for all this! Here's what I did:

Transaction #1
2 Pantene $7.00
- $3/2 pantene coupon
-$4.00 ecb
Total oop: $0.23 tax (I figured out why I'm paying a few cents even if it looks like it should be free - you still have to pay tax on the amount of the manufacturer's coupons. The ecbs "eat" tax, but MQs don't.)
Received $2 ecbs

Transaction #2
2 Pantene $7.00
1 Tide $5.88
1 Colgate $2.99
1 CVS toddler wipes $1.49
-$3/$15 CVS coupon
-$3/2 pantene coupon
-$1/1 tide coupon
-$1.50/1 colgate coupon
-$5.99 ecb
-$2.87 ecb (this was originally a $2.99 ecb, but it got adjusted down because there wasn't $2.99 left to take off.)
Total oop: $0.43 tax
Received $4 ecbs

Transaction #3
1 Colgate $2.99
2 Kleenex (BOGO) $2.19
2 Johnsons first aid kits $1.98
-$1.50/1 colgate coupon
-$0.40/1 kleenex coupon
-$1.98/2 johnson's coupon (originally $3 off, but adjusted down to the actual purchase price.)
-$2.00 ecb (I meant to use a $2.99 ecb, but accidently handed the clerk the wrong one. Oh well.)
Total oop: $1.68
Received $2 ecbs

So my total oop was $2.34, and I have $6 ecbs that don't expire until the end of January.

Oh, and aren't those Johnson first aid kits cool? They have a nice strong plastic box with a good clasp, and I think they'll last a long time even carried around in my diaper bag.

I'm participating in the CVS $5 Challenge at Keeping the Kingdom First. Hop on over for more scenarios - it is a great place to learn if you're just starting out!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the shampoo too but did not get charged tax. Paid $0 OOP for shampoo, conditioner and a razor...no tax.

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

The tax thing is weird, I still have not figured it all out. I believe it varies based on your state's sales tax laws.

Thank you for participating in this week's $5 Challenge! Great job!

BusyMom said...

Where in your store are the First Aid to Go? Everyone keeps talking aobut the 99cent first aid kits and the coupon and I can't find them at my store.

Linds said...

Please tell me CVS is giving you a cut of the profits to advertise for them on your blog. :)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Linds,

What profits? ;)

Linds said...

Whatever they're making from all your free advertising. :)

Anonymous said...

I've looked everywhere for the first aid kits too. Anyone know where they are in the store?

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

DocMisty, I don't think that all CVS stores have them. If they do have them, they're either on a sidecap display, or they are in the travel/trial size section.